Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hold On To Your Kids

I just finished watching the dvd by Dr. Gordon Neufeld, the same title of his award winning book, Hold On To Your Kids.  Although I have read the book, revisiting the information as Dr. Neufeld spoke affected me even more.  There were many topics to quote, but this one seems most important to me at the moment.

" What is the most likely thing for a North American parent to do when a child misbehaves?.....Time Out.  Send the child away, which involves what?....Separation.  It says to the child that your behavior is more important than the relationship.  And it creates insecurity in a child which we have known for a while, a long time now, in developmental science that is absolutely essential for the unfolding of personality, health and well being."

If you haven't read Dr. Neufeld's work, I highly recommend it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment